At Red Hill, the mathematics curriculum provides a creative, innovative mathematics education that allows all children to learn and progress, whilst discovering their own interests and talents.
The overarching aims are designed to:
- develop children’s mathematical understanding, such as core facts, concepts, methods and strategies including mathematical vocabulary and symbols.
- equip children with skills of calculation, factual fluency and automatic recall, including mental methods, such as place value, number bonds and multiplication tables.
- quickly address any mathematical misconceptions as they occur.
- reason mathematically by following different lines of enquiries and to develop an argument, justification, or proof using mathematical language.
- enable children to solve problems logically by applying their mathematical knowledge across different subjects within the curriculum and to help them within the wider world.
Our intention is that children build on their resilience and independence during meaningful learning experiences so that they feel positive and confident with their mathematical skills. Our curriculum is intended to develop the skills set out in the National Curriculum as well as to nurture a sense of curiosity about mathematics.
Do it, Twist it, Deepen it!
Our maths learning is broken down into 3 main types of challenge:
Do it! - Fluency challenges to practise core learning and key methods
Twist it! - Problem-solving challenges in which children need to apply key skills and methods to different types of question or problem
Deepen it! - Reasoning based challenges which involve children using mathematical vocabulary and key concepts to support and prove their reasoning
How can you support learning at home?
EYFS & KS1 - NUMBOTS
You can log in to your child's account here: https://play.numbots.com/#/intro
KS2 - TIMES TABLES ROCK STARS
You can log in to your child's account here: https://play.ttrockstars.com/
If you would like any further information about our maths curriculum at Red Hill, please do not hesitate to contact the school.
Maths subject lead – Miss Chloe Guyatt